Is my pot worthless?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is my pot worthless?

Post  bvrablic on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 am

I normally brew with a stainless pot. I've got a larger aluminum pot I want to use but I think its corroded. If I clean it and sanitize it, even though the inside appears to still have corrosion marks on it, am I doomed?

bvrablic

Back to top Go down

Re: Is my pot worthless?

Post  CalvinChubb on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 am

What kind of corrosion? Is it the pot/metal itself that is corroding? Is it just something burnt or stained on the sides/bottom?

As long as you scrub it well, you should be ok. I've got a couple of large pots I grabbed up from a closed restaurant that still have unknown stains and whatnot, even after repeated scrubbing and brews, and I've not had problems with weird odors or flavors. Just make sure you scrape out any stuck on stuff...
CalvinChubb

http://www.nwihb.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  bvrablic on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm

I actually caused the corrosion by brining a turkey in the pot. I think the salt ate through some of the aluminum.

bvrablic

Back to top Go down

Post  kjung on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:14 am

Keep in mind, there is a large debate over the health concerns of using aluminum pots for brewing. Supposedly, aluminum can lead to off tastes, as well as other health problems down the line.
I don't know how accurate these claims are, and personally I've heard evidence on both sides of the fence.

With that in mind, you can usually get great deals on slightly dented S.S. pots at places like Cabela's. I found a heavt-duty 32 qt. pot for something like $45 in their clearance room in the back of the store. The only problem with it was a slightly dented lid, which we don't use in brewing anyway!
kjung

Back to top Go down

Post  CGreen on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 pm

I think you are fine to use it. I never had any off flavors from using an aluminum kettle.

If you want to replace it try to find an old keg off craigslist, cut the top off that bad boy and you have a nice stainless steel pot that can handle 10g batches with a 90 min boil easily...
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top