Aging Stouts, to keg or not to keg

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aging Stouts, to keg or not to keg

Post  BassClefBrews on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:06 pm

I was wondering how long everyone ages their stouts before serving. Also, is it bad to age it kegged with carbonation?
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Re: Aging Stouts, to keg or not to keg

Post  Whatever on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:12 pm

I usually use the accepted beer aging equation...

stronger = longer

As far as aging under pressure in a keg I'm not sure, but I'd sure like to know, too.

My gut tells me that they are in that same environment in a bottle, so why not?

Additionally, IMO it is a waste of time to let something sit in secondary for several months only to rouse the yeast for bottling/priming.
The fresh yeast will produce additional fermentation by-products, and the flavors associated with them. It will then take additional time in the bottle for those flavors to settle out, and the flavor of the beer to mellow.

I find it much more time and flavor friendly to mellow in secondary for several weeks, and then bottle condition for several months.
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

I usually never do secondarys unless lagering. I wonder what Steve from Crown Brewing does?
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Whatever on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:34 pm

I do a secondary on everything, even if it just for a week or two. It helps to get the beer off all the nasties collected at the bottom of the fermenter.

I also do an additional transfer a few weeks after adding adjuncts like candy sugar to my belgians.

I wish I had multiple conical fermenters...then I would never have to siphon from a carboy again.
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:45 am

So I did some more research, and the general consensus seems to be to rack the beer into the keg and let it age for about 20 days prior to carbonating. I didn't do this with my FES, but I did with my oatmeal stout. I'll post if there is any difference, even though I should have did it with the same recipe.
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Seerunseen on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:06 pm

I brewed a dry stout and after I bottled it, it has been aging for 7 months, and let me tell you, I think it is Delicious...personally I think a stout should age for at least 3-6 months for all the flavors to come out(depending on the variety)....I tasted it at least every two weeks, to see the changes in flavor and right now it is perfect I would have to say. It took 2nd in a comp. 4 months ago... The Judges said I should age it longer. Just my two cents.

Seerunseen

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. The hardest thing sometimes, is letting it age before sampling it all away, which I've done before.
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top