Illiana Beer Rackers Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rice Hulls

5 posters

Go down

Rice Hulls Empty Rice Hulls

Post  Boberto Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:14 pm

I am going to do my first heavy duty wheat beer. I like doing higher gravity stuff. You know, the stuff certain breweries rip people off for 10 bucks a bomber. Ounce per Ounce that equates to a $35.00 six pack. Booo!!!! But, more power to them if people are willing to drive an hour each way to buy it. Nevertheless, my question is "What is the best way to utilize Rice Hulls?". Do I place them on the bottom of my mash tun? Or do I mix them in with the rest of my grain? Or, should I put them below the false bottom in my mash tun? I have never brewed with wheat, and I have heard horror stories of stuck sparges.
Boberto
Boberto

Back to top Go down

Rice Hulls Empty Re: Rice Hulls

Post  BassClefBrews Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:52 pm

I've never used them, but as far as I understand, you mix them in with your grains. When mixed in , they're supposed to prevent the grains from compacting together to prevent a stuck sparge. They also don't infuse any flavor to the wort.
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  EricRuuska Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 am

Since wheat doesn't have a hull like barley does, and the hulls are what create the filter bed at the bottom of the mash tun, you're more likely to get a stuck sparge when you use a large percentage of wheat in the grain bill. Rice hulls help compensate for that, correct?
EricRuuska
EricRuuska

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:40 am

Exactly. Their density, so to speak, would prevent the wheat from compacting down.
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Whatever Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:02 am

I mix them in with my grain post-crush. I had a problem with a stuck grain mill because of the hulls, so I won't run them thru the grinder with the grain again.

I figured they would be best utilized as a filter in the lower 2/3 of the tun, so that's where I put them. I milled 2/3 of my grain, mixed in the rice hulls, put it in the mash tun, and then topped off with the rest of the cracked grain.
Whatever
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Rice Hulls Empty Rice hulls

Post  Kennywood Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Another couple of benefits, Breweries often use hulls in increase efficiency and reduce runoff time. Probably more important to a business than a homebrewer though...

Kennywood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum