Stout recipe help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stout recipe help

Post  Honda 76 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Looking to brew a chocolate stout and rack over coconut... Has anyone tried this? If so... Did you bake the nuts? Add them to the boil? It's would really help. I'm going to do the chocolate stout 5 gal, and do half over coconuts and half over mint.

I'll be doing all extrat if it helps.

Any tips would be killer. Thanks much.
Honda 76

Back to top Go down

Re: Stout recipe help

Post  BassClefBrews on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:32 am

Never used coconut or mint, but I would add it to the secondary.
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Honda 76 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Roger. I'm going to hit the mint and the coconut in the secondary... Hopefully the flavors take.
Honda 76

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:41 pm

You'll get more flavor from them in the secondary. If you put it in the primary, there is a chance that the yeast would drive of alot of the flavor and aroma.
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Honda 76 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:50 am

Hey thanks, the stout came out pretty solid. Not a ton of coconut, but the sugars that were on the coconut bumped the ABV and added some great body. Looking back I probably should have used some whole foodsish all natural naked coconut, but I'm happy with the results.

Oh mint came out surprisingly good too. Got a touch of mint for st paddy's day. The shamrock stout.
Honda 76

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Great to hear!!
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  saltydawg on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:54 am

I got to this thread late, but from what I've read natural coconut is best beacause of the lack of added sugars and preservatives. Then lightly toast in the oven and cool on paper towel to soak up excess oils naturally present, and intensify the soft flavor of the coconut. If you Google key words on this subject there is a lot of info out there.
saltydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Honda 76 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:09 pm

+1 to the all natural. The toasted coconut left a subtle flavor and body. Wish I would have got the natural, but the bakers coconut left me with no regrets.

I baked it on low for a while, the whole time my concern was infection. I didn't soak in vodka or anything. When you dry hop is that what you do? I'm kind of avoiding dry hopping and adding to the fermenter because I'm not always 100% on how to keep it safe.
Honda 76

Back to top Go down

Post  saltydawg on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:01 pm

I baked it on low for a while, the whole time my concern was infection. I didn't soak in vodka or anything. When you dry hop is that what you do? I'm kind of avoiding dry hopping and adding to the fermenter because I'm not always 100% on how to keep it safe.

No need for a vodka soak if the coconut is toasted and handled properly. It should be fine to add to the secondary, if not preferrable. As for dry hopping, I've never heard or read anything where a batch was infected from properly handled hops. Hops are a pretty strong anti-microbial. Not to mention the PH of finished beer makes it a pretty harsh envirornment for most bugs, too. That is IF your sanitation is good from the start of course.

Generally, concerning post boil additions, you will not get as strong of a flavor contribution if flavor additions are added before primary fermention is over. But if you like the level of flavor you have now... well... if it aint broke, don't fix it! Very Happy
saltydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top