Illiana Beer Rackers Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yeast Library

4 posters

Go down

Yeast Library Empty Yeast Library

Post  Whatever Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:14 am

First, I have to apologize to Bob from Kennywood, I don't mean to attack your pocketbook. I like you, really I do.

That said...

I, like many others before me, have accumulated/harvested reserves of specialty yeast, and think it would be in the best interests of the club, as a whole to create/catalog a library of yeast strains that we've harvested/accumulated individually.

In doing this, we would have current knowledge/access to numerous strains of specialty yeast (preferably Belgian in origin, but all comers welcome) with which to create, and conquer, the world.

As long as everyone's sanitation/harvesting practices are up to par, and we are all willing to save slurry, we could do a yeast cooperative of sorts.

Club members could list available strains, and desired slurry could be exchanged at meetings.

I currently have Duvel, Chimay Blue, and Wyeast 9093-pc Imperial yeast, as the stars of my harvested yeast.

Any thoughts/opinions...
Whatever
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Yeast Library Empty Don't everyone speak at once...

Post  Whatever Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:59 pm

One at a time people, please...
Whatever
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Yeast Library Empty Re: Yeast Library

Post  CGreen Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am

The big question is do we as a club want to invest the funds to having a proper yeast bank. I am all for it and would use it but is everyone behind the idea. I am not talking about saving a slurry but actually having a pure yeast culture to build up pitches from. Later this week I am going to have a vote for what we want to get from our club. I need some direction from all of you.

Cheers,

Chris
CGreen
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  JCoe Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Speaking for myself, I would have no idea as to how a yeast bank would work. I've never even reused any yeast yet, let alone known how to clean it up and save it for someone else to use.
JCoe
JCoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott_M_Bort Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Maybe we can talk about that in our next meeting, how to reuse and store yeast
Scott_M_Bort
Scott_M_Bort

http://www.scottmbort.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CGreen Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Not a problem. Maybe we should spend some time talking about what we want out of the club. Book library, yeast bank, group brews ect.
CGreen
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Yeast Library Empty We already have a yeast bank.

Post  Whatever Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:26 am

Most of us are already yeast banks, with pre-existing, functioning storage facilities.

My suggestion is that we make a virtual listing of all the harvested specialty yeasts we have at our collective disposal.

Listed by origin/strain, with tags to the brewers that currently have that strain on hand.

If we all pool our efforts, obtaining a rare slurry sample, like Westvleteren, may be as simple as messaging a request to another member to bring a slurry sample to the following club meeting.

The responsibilities for club members would simply be to share slurry, and benefiting parties would be required to save a few bottles of post brew slurry, to prolong the strain(s).

...but having a specific off-site yeast bank would be pretty slick, Rick.
Whatever
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down