Illiana Beer Rackers Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quality Sanitizer

+5
JCoe
bpear
CGreen
admin
BassClefBrews
9 posters

Go down

Quality Sanitizer Empty Quality Sanitizer

Post  BassClefBrews Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:41 pm

As I'm just digging into homebrewing, I was wondering what everyone uses for sanitizing. A friend of mine recommends BTF. Any thoughts.
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Quality Sanitizer Empty Re: Quality Sanitizer

Post  admin Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:32 pm

I use starsan, but some people don't like it cause it foams.
admin
admin
Admin

https://ibru.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 pm

You mean like soap suds? So you would need a good rinse after?
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  CGreen Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:12 am

Starsan is your friend. Don't fear the foam! Use reverse osmosis or distilled water if you plan to store the sanitizer. I keep some in a spray bottle all the time.

Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer. Once you have thoroughly cleaned your fermenter or anything on the cold side for that matter (I recommend either PBW (powdered brewery wash) or Oxy Clean (original unscented!!!). They are basically the same thing but the OxyClean is cheaper. Follow this with with some starsan. Pour off the excess and you are good to go. the foam left behind wont hurt anything.
CGreen
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  bpear Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm new too, I use the PBW cleaner and BTF sanitizer, I bought a big storage container and create a "bath tub" if you will for brew and bottling day sanitizing, so far so good...bpear
bpear
bpear

Back to top Go down

Post  JCoe Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:11 pm

I use Iodophor, which is iodine based. It's also no rinse. The only down side I've noticed is that some of my tubing has started to turn yellow, but I've probably mixed the solution too strong a few times to cause that. Never had an infection, so it must be working.
JCoe
JCoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Whatever Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:01 am

Aye-aye, Iodophur.

B-T-F whatever you like to call it...you can't beat a spray bottle of this stuff. No rinse, and only requires a 2 minute contact time to be effective, but to be honest...I never wait the full 2 minutes. And have not had a problem in 19 months.
Whatever
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Post  bpear Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:35 am

I hear ya on the BTF, I find myself being a soaking joker on my buckets, I mean a few hours on each side, and a good 15 min on bottles and utensils just covering all the bases....bpear
bpear
bpear

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott_M_Bort Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:07 am

Cgreen sez:
{Starsan is your friend. Don't fear the foam! Use reverse osmosis or distilled water if you plan to store the sanitizer. I keep some in a spray bottle all the time.

Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer. Once you have thoroughly cleaned your fermenter or anything on the cold side for that matter (I recommend either PBW (powdered brewery wash) or Oxy Clean (original unscented!!!). They are basically the same thing but the OxyClean is cheaper. Follow this with with some starsan. Pour off the excess and you are good to go. the foam left behind wont hurt anything.}}

I second everything he said
Scott_M_Bort
Scott_M_Bort

http://www.scottmbort.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EricRuuska Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 am

I also keep StarSan in a spray bottle. A little will last forever. If you make it with tap water, it will get cloudy after a while, but as long as the pH stays under 3 it still does the job. I've got a pH meter, and even 2-month-old StarSan is still good with a reading of 2.6. Also, if I've got some left over after a brew session, I'll save a quart or two in an old OxyClean bucket I emptied. If you're sanitizing airlocks, stoppers, tubing, etc., just toss 'em in the small bucket, swish it around a little, and you're good to go!

StarSan is also a great liquid to put into your airlocks.

DON'T FEAR THE FOAM!!!
EricRuuska
EricRuuska

Back to top Go down

Post  bvrablic Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Starsan is really great. A little does go a long way. I would caution to be extremely careful using it around laminated counter tops though. I didn't realize that in full strength, that acid will etch just about anything. Beer making kit: $149, bottle of Starsan: 10.95, Ingredients for Amber ale: $35 destroying the counter tops your wife likes very much.... not so priceless.

bvrablic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down