Illiana Beer Rackers Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So who's bringing an English Brown to the next meeting?

+3
Scott_M_Bort
saltydawg
EricRuuska
7 posters

Go down

So who's bringing an English Brown to the next meeting? Empty So who's bringing an English Brown to the next meeting?

Post  EricRuuska Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:50 am

Hey everyone,
Just checking to see if anyone else is bringing an English Brown ale to the next meeting (2/1/10) for possible submission to the AHA club-only contest. I brewed one up about a month ago, bottled it 2 days ago, and hopefully it'll be properly conditioned for the meeting. I tasted my gravity sample when I bottled, and I was quite pleased. Can't wait!
EricRuuska
EricRuuska

Back to top Go down

So who's bringing an English Brown to the next meeting? Empty Re: So who's bringing an English Brown to the next meeting?

Post  saltydawg Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I'll bring along another couple of bottles of a brown ale I brought in last meeting. Maybe just to see if anyone thinks it's "to style" enough.
I also have another one to try. Just kegged it on 1-14-10 with enough left to fill a few bottles. It's a recipe I got off the net... Jamil Z's creation.

Don't really know if either is "to style". I hope to get some comments on these beers at the meeting.
saltydawg
saltydawg

Back to top Go down

So who's bringing an English Brown to the next meeting? Empty Re: So who's bringing an English Brown to the next meeting?

Post  Scott_M_Bort Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:17 pm

When you guys get to the meeting - check in with me - i'l keep track of whoever brings it and run this fairly and accurately

Bring at least 2-3 bottles so we can pour enough samples for the whole lot of us
Scott_M_Bort
Scott_M_Bort

http://www.scottmbort.com

Back to top Go down

So who's bringing an English Brown to the next meeting? Empty lets play two..or three

Post  Whatever Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:51 am

I made a batch last week, and tried to hit numbers that would fall within every style listed for the competition.

I split the batch in half, used Danstar Windsor in half, Danstar Nottingham in the other.

So we will be able to taste the Northern and Southern English ale yeasts from the same manufacturer.

I also plan on blending the two, and it will hence be known as "The Notty-Duchess", after the Duchess of Windsor, American divorcee twice over who married into royalty...

She was the original naughty Duchess...

Awwww, yeeahh.
Whatever
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:41 pm

I bottled a Southern English Brown last week I'll be bring to enter. All parameters are within the Southern style according to the guidelines. Tasted good when I sampled it during bottling, we'll see what you guys think. Only my 3rd batch.
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  CGreen Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Closest thing I have is a brown porter and that wont fly. I will print a few copys of BJCP style guidelines for each of the styles. Be sure to bring enough for the comp as well as the tasting (2 comp/2-3 tasting)
CGreen
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott_M_Bort Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Good Point Chris.

BRING A SIX PACK OF YOUR BROWN ENGLISH ALE

that way we have four to serve (48 ounces across 30 or so people works out better) and 2 to send

easy to bring a sixer then worry about carrying 4 bottles.
Scott_M_Bort
Scott_M_Bort

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:38 am

Darn. All I have is 12 pack boxes.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott_M_Bort Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 am

thats ok,

i'm taking donations.......
Scott_M_Bort
Scott_M_Bort

Back to top Go down

Post  CGreen Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Confirmed today that 2 bottles are needed for the comp.
CGreen
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:03 am

How should they be labeled for the club tasting?
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  CGreen Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:24 am

No lables or markings on the caps for your comp entries. They are very picky about that at homebrew competitions. As for the ones you intend to share with the club, it is totally up to you.
CGreen
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  bpear Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:16 am

Sampled a Porter tonight, I'm not sure it will meet the requirements. I will bring a few next meeting , for some feed back. Thanks.... bpear
bpear
bpear

Back to top Go down

Post  BassClefBrews Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 pm

What if you have a beer to enter, but might not be able to make the meeting?
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down