Illiana Beer Rackers Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Co2 Tank Pressure

+4
CGreen
rzurek78
EricRuuska
saltydawg
8 posters

Go down

Co2 Tank Pressure Empty Co2 Tank Pressure

Post  saltydawg Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm getting close to kegging my first beer. I just picked up my new kegerator. My question is, how much pressure should be in a 5lb. Co2 tank when full?

Also where do you have them filled, preferably "while you wait". (not an exchange) I had mine filled at a local paintball store. He doesn't have the proper adapter & it seemed like there was a lot of leakage as he filled it. Although, it does feel full. Prolly OK... but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks
saltydawg
saltydawg

Back to top Go down

Co2 Tank Pressure Empty Re: Co2 Tank Pressure

Post  EricRuuska Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:30 am

There will be LOTS of pressure in your CO2 canister, upwards of maybe a couple thousand psi. Do you have a regulator? You'll need one. You'll want to regulate the pressure down to 5-20 psi, depending on temperature and desired level of carbonation. How To Brew by John Palmer has a nifty chart that will tell you how much pressure you need.

You can get a regulator online at one of the big brewing supply places (midwestsupplies.com is one), or you can check with Bob at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to see if he can get you one.

You can get your tank refilled at any place that deals in industrial gases or welding supplies. Call first to make sure, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a place to refill it.
EricRuuska
EricRuuska

Back to top Go down

Post  saltydawg Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:47 am

For sure I've got a regulator... Actually I've got the dual gage reg off the canister and three more downstream to run 3 kegs at different pressures.(if desired) I called Kegworks this morning, they said around 800-900lbs or so pressure at the canister at room temp. Does that sound right? If so, I'm good there.

The only other thing I'd like some input on is Co2 supply. Every place I've called only does an exchange. I'd prefer to keep my new aluminum tank and NOT do the exchange. So I'll prolly stay with the paintball shop if no other options present themselves.

Any suggestions appreciated
saltydawg
saltydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  EricRuuska Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:55 pm

As long as you're happy with what you're getting at the paintball store, I'd go with it.
EricRuuska
EricRuuska

Back to top Go down

Post  rzurek78 Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:33 pm

I get my tank filled at Bad Boyz Toyz in Lansing, IL, and the pressure is about 800-900 lbs. until it goes in the fridge, then the gage heads strait for THE RED. Thought I had a leak the first time, but thats normal. I went to AirGas in hammond and he wanted to exchange a shitty old tank for my brand new one, are you kidding me? BBT for sure!
rzurek78
rzurek78

Back to top Go down

Post  CGreen Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:36 pm

I go to King Richards in Michigan City. 15.00 a fill but I keep my bottle and I can brouse a respectable beer selection while i wait. Another benifit is the hours. I have 4 kids and finding time is difficult. Albano's pizza is right up the road if you need an excuse to go there, the pizza is fantastic!
CGreen
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakebone Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 pm

I was exchanging mine at Air Gas in Joliet when I was living in Plainfield, IL. Normally 800-900 psi. It was $15 to exchange a 5 lb tank and $20 to exchange a 20 lb tank.
Snakebone
Snakebone

Back to top Go down

Post  admin Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Praxair will do it too I don't know the rates, but they have all sorts of gasses. Maybe try nitrogen sometime. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
admin
admin
Admin

https://ibru.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Boberto Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:24 am

I goto airgas in South Chicago Heights/Steger. It is just off of Sauk Trail. 14ish to refill my alum tank. They will refill alum tanks and exchange steel ones.
Boberto
Boberto

Back to top Go down

Post  Boberto Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Warped Sports in Merrilville fills 5#ers for $15.
Boberto
Boberto

Back to top Go down

Post  CalvinChubb Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 pm

What about places around here for purchasing a tank, new or used?

I can get one online, but then I also wouldn't mind saving the $15-30 on having it shipped.
CalvinChubb
CalvinChubb

http://www.nwihb.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  saltydawg Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Praxair on Indianapolis Blvd. just north of the expressway in Hammond sells tanks. Co2, & Oxygen, maybe Nitrogen too. Bought my Oxygen tank from them. I think I have them in my address book as Mittler. phone 219-844-1142
saltydawg
saltydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  CalvinChubb Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Well, lucked out and got a 10# tank w/ regulator for free from work. We rent 5# tanks for our portable bars, and I had asked what we were paying for renting tanks and whatnot, and was told we own a 10# that hasn't been used or needed in years, and that I was welcome to it !!

cheers

We used to have soda stations in the kitchen which needed the tank, but now everything is done from portable setups with the smaller tanks.

Tank, regulator, and gauges all look to be in great shape. Need to get it into some light to see when the last time it had been tested. Otherwise, I'm getting the thing filled/exchanged and hopefully kegging next week.
CalvinChubb
CalvinChubb

http://www.nwihb.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down