Illiana Beer Rackers Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bottling Sugars

3 posters

Go down

Bottling Sugars Empty Bottling Sugars

Post  CalvinChubb Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:08 pm

I know that any simple sugar is usable for priming bottles, but just wondering if anyone has tried something besides bottling/corn sugar for carbing.

Honey, brown sugar, etc? What brew style? How did it come out?

Just realized I'm out of both caps and bottling sugar, and could use some more bottles too, so I have to go out and pick up some stuff anyways, but was wondering if I should skip the bottling sugar and try something else... you know, just because Razz Rolling Eyes
CalvinChubb
CalvinChubb

http://www.nwihb.org/

Back to top Go down

Bottling Sugars Empty Re: Bottling Sugars

Post  CGreen Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:37 am

In the past I always used table sugar for bottle conditioning. From what I have heard/read you use such a small amount for priming that the flavors from any honey or specialty sugars are lost. With that said, you should try it for yourself and see what you think. At most you are out a couple extra bucks.

If you do try it let us know your findings.

Cheers,

Chris
CGreen
CGreen

Back to top Go down

Post  EricRuuska Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:05 pm

What Chris said. You're not adding enough (maybe 3 ounces per 5 gallons) to really affect the flavor profile.

I'm not sure much is to be gained by experimenting with different fermentables for priming. Corn sugar is popular because it's nearly 100% fermentable and won't contribute any real flavor to the beer. That being said, I've considered using DME for priming. Technically adding corn sugar will *very* slightly dry out the beer, while DME would not, at least on paper. I haven't actually done it yet, but maybe my next batch.....

Anyway, all this being said, if you're up for an experiment, go for it! Just be sure to report back with the results.
EricRuuska
EricRuuska

Back to top Go down

Post  CalvinChubb Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:40 pm

I'll just stick with the corn sugar for the next brews, as I've not done either before and would have no control to test against. I could split the batch and try different ones, but that's more effort than I want to put in to it right now.

I'll probably be doing up my caranut brown next month and will give it a try then, and have bottles from the previous two batches, and could then taste against those.
CalvinChubb
CalvinChubb

http://www.nwihb.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum