Illiana Beer Rackers Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bottle conditioning

5 posters

Go down

Bottle conditioning Empty Bottle conditioning

Post  BassClefBrews Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:47 pm

I was wondering. Those of you who bottle, how long do you typically let the brew condition before cracking open the first one Question
I opened my first bottle after 7 days, barely any head. After 12 days is what you see in my avatar. Does the style make a difference?
BassClefBrews
BassClefBrews

Back to top Go down

Bottle conditioning Empty Re: Bottle conditioning

Post  EricRuuska Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:07 pm

The style, and more specifically, the OG of the brew will definitely have an effect on conditioning time. The higher the OG, the longer it'll take. Temperature also has an effect: if the room temperature is too cold, it'll take a lot longer to condition.
EricRuuska
EricRuuska

Back to top Go down

Post  bpear Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:33 pm

What temps are to cold? I'm currently storing "conditioning" bottles in my basement at around 64-63 degrees under the stairs, should I extend the time at these temperatures?....bpear
bpear
bpear

Back to top Go down

Post  JCoe Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:19 pm

I've had batches that were fully carbonated in a week or so, but usually it takes two to three. I have also had batches that were still fairly flat after a month in the bottle. As mentioned above, temperature will make a difference. I think if you've had a long secondary you might get issues with your yeast dropping out too, and that could slow things up.
JCoe
JCoe

Back to top Go down

Post  bpear Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:46 am

Interesting, I just bottled a lager, 2 weeks @ 45-54 primary and then @ 35-36 secondary for 5 weeks, now it conditions at 63-64 in the bottle. I plan after 7 days to transfer to the fridge for another 4-5 weeks till taste, as a newbe, any thoughts? I hope it turns out, by the way the taste was good prior to bottling just a little flat....bpear
bpear
bpear

Back to top Go down

Post  EricRuuska Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:32 am

bpear wrote:What temps are to cold? I'm currently storing "conditioning" bottles in my basement at around 64-63 degrees under the stairs, should I extend the time at these temperatures?....bpear

I've heard that 3 weeks at 70*F is usually good for an average-gravity beer to fully carbonate (under 1.060 or so, give or take), but it's not necessarily an exact science. Your mileage may vary.
EricRuuska
EricRuuska

Back to top Go down

Post  bpear Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks, I will extend the time, won't rush em....bpear
bpear
bpear

Back to top Go down

Post  CalvinChubb Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:46 pm

I put mine in a spare room for 2-3 weeks, temps ranging from 66-70F. After that, I crack one open, see where it's at with taste and carb levels. If it's close or ready carb-wise, I put half or so in to the fridge and let them sit in there for another week, then start drinking.

The ones that make it in to the fridge last, sitting month(s) or more at room temp, usually end up tasting the best. I've got 2 dozen or so that have been sitting at room temp for almost 6 months now, that are just plain awesome to drink now.

Once the carbonation is ready, it's really a matter of how long I can force myself to wait.
CalvinChubb
CalvinChubb

http://www.nwihb.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum